Ask questions or fill in the information for a quote, we're here to help.
Art Classes for Adults in Abu Dhabi
Posted on Jul 09, 2013 by Samantha Lancaster (G+)
Feeling creative? Immerse yourself in Abu Dhabi’s burgeoning art scene with an art or craft class.
Abu Dhabi is shaping up to be a world-class center for the arts, and the Saadiyat Cultural District is leading the way with its spectacularly ambitious plans for not one, not two, but five museums slated to open over the next few years. The project includes major international collaborations with the Louvre and the Guggenheim; both are opening ambitious museums that will house works by contemporary artists, in striking, architecturally complex buildings.
Along with a maritime museum, a center for performing arts and a national museum, there will plenty of opportunities in the Saadiyat Cultural District to participate in various arts and crafts classes, seminars and educational programs. It’s guaranteed to catapult Abu Dhabi onto the world stage as a destination set apart from Dubai, and the hope is that the district will become “a live canvas for global culture,” bridging the gap between Eastern and Western art.
For inspiration in the meantime, check out some of the classes currently on offer around Abu Dhabi:
- The Saadiyat Cultural District offers a variety of workshops on topics such as metal etching and photographing art as part of its ongoing cultural program to promote the area’s burgeoning arts hub status.
- Don’t forget to save the date for Abu Dhabi Art 2013; a three-day event that will feature a full program of events, talks, performances and workshops in a forum that will bring together artists, cultural icons, museums, collectors and visitors in a celebration of art. November 20-23, 2013.
- Art Beat is a shop close to Mushrif Mall with a fantastically light and airy arts and craft studio offering a whole range of classes.People of all abilities can work with candles, canvas, ceramic and glass painting, decoupage and window stickers. Art Beat also offers occasional classes with guest artists.
- L'Atelier Des Arts describes itself as “Abu Dhabi’s Leading arts and crafts shop,” offering a huge variety of well-displayed art and craft products. Located in the M&S building, they also run an extensive series of art and craft classes in sculpture, needlepoint, decoupage, paper quilling, painting on glass, textiles and porcelain as well as traditional oil and acrylic painting.
- The Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage runs an ongoing and changing program of classes ranging from art and handicrafts to calligraphy and more. (02 657 6355).
- Abu Dhabi Pottery runs various classes for adults and kids, from lessons in simple techniques, to more advanced courses in throwing, glazing, firing and kiln know-how. They also run courses to train as a pottery teacher. ([email protected], 02 666 7079).
- Café Ceramique is a pottery café where kids and adults can enjoy delicious food as well as try their creative hand at painting a variety of ceramic objects.
- Gulf Photo Plus is at the heart of the UAE’s photography community. Based at GEMS Khalifa Academy, they offer various services, equipment, support and a range of courses aimed at newbies right up to pro level. ([email protected]).
- Jay Alonzo is a highly experienced professional photographer based along Najda offering various photography courses aimed at DSLR users of all levels. At his studio, more advanced students can also take specialized workshops in lighting and flash techniques.
- Priyanka is a female art teacher based in Abu Dhabi with over 12 years of experience teaching drawing and painting classes. She offers private tuition and can be contacted on 0554213381 or through [email protected] .
- The Abu Dhabi Quilters Guild runs monthly quilting classes for all levels, with guest tutors from around the world. Contact Terri Bushnell for details at [email protected]
Found this article useful? Like and share!